move forward, live fully, breathe deeply....

there are so many areas in our lives in which we can get stuck...drowning in things, worry, anxiety. Here is my journey to live simply, with the fantastic freedom of 'less is more' as my mantra.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Retirement Adventures continue on....My Birthday!!! Yay!!

Time flies doesn't it?? whether we're having fun or not....but this month has been a phenomenal month of fun, work, goal setting, weather whirlwinds, empty days, grayness-gone-wild!! haha...but it has been an adventure of my doing, and, in a way, undoing...

With the crazy winter weather we've all experienced this year...it's been a great time for catching up on much needed rest...my fibromywhatsis was definitely calling for rest!!! though I tried on many occasions to participate in the "doing" of tasks...ranging from cleaning house, walking dogs, moving furniture (what?!?! now that wasn't wise...), painting our front door--spilling a half a gallon (!!??) of paint--now that's a story all it's own-- painting bathroom cabinets, painting hallway molding...spending numerous numerous hours on Pinterest and playing Candy Crush Saga--nothing like a little truth to keep it real--keep it real....

Early in the month I had the pleasure of flying to Tucson, AZ for Art Retreat in the Desert....I was so very excited to take some classes to teach me as well as help me practice previous learned skills in jewelry making and bookmaking.  Oh! what an adventure trying to get myself together, and off to the airport!! Oversleeping, not being completely packed, pulling my insulin pump canula out right before heading out the door (?! I mean, really???!!) Loading the dogs in the car--to take them to the kennel--getting to the airport finally and rushing through security...and lo and behold! I didn't have to be wanded!! Yay!! did I say Yay!! then finally making my way onto the airplane--after a few delays in the airport due to weather...halfway to Tucson, we have several delays...due to weather (I mean, really?? Mother Nature...please give us a break?) I didn't take time to eat between flights because there was nary a moment to spare--only to sit for a few hours hoping our plane would be repaired and make it out of the docket in the same night! We did!! and arrived safely and securely (yes, it was the wee hours of the NEXT day I was finally in my hotel room! but safe it was.) sigh....


The art retreat taught me a few things--that I was able to participate socially even when I didn't feel so very hot--but also that I couldn't participate physically as much as I wanted to. That was the hardest part--accepting my limitations. With grace. With contentment. Without apology.. I must admit it was a process.  I got there...eventually!!... I met some fabulous people...members of "my tribe"...joyful, earnest, lovely souls who enjoyed the instructors guidance...enlightening each other and spreading laughter and expertise while tentative formed sparks of interest in each other...in our craft..were cast about.  I met Generous spirits who permitted themselves and others the gift of friendship, of belonging (my Prairie Pearl friends--Kathleen, Yvonne, Rita, Barb, Erin, Diane, Deryn, Cindy, and Marcie you were there in spirit).  I finished one and a half projects (out of three)...you would think that would make a soul weary, down-trodden...but I found I was okay...okay to spend time alone, time to heal, time to re-energize. and I found there was kindness in abundance--my new friend Wendy--amazed me with her sweet offer to help me finish that "half" project which I couldn't complete...and my new friend formed from being brave enough to have a roommate, Marianna, was a beacon of artistic ability and inspiration..I met so many wonderful ladies!! Marcella, Kristin, Robin, Julie, Lori, Karen, Riki, Jeana...and many many more that I did not have the time to get to know very well...but would like to...someday!!
My old friend Reen flew out for a few nights--and took the Heirloom Relic book course with me--we had a wonderful time at our table of naughty girls!! well, not really naughty, Kim and Marsha just gabbing--goofing--etc. and laughing...that's what I remember most is the laughter floating through the air like feathers--floating---

Tucson Airport Shuttle Service
Getting home was also an adventure--rarely do we have flights cancelled in the Deep South due to weather...but we did this year...and after a 24 hr delay I made it home...safely..again safely...thanking my Maker that I was able to spend time with friends, new and old alike..


Being home has been quiet, recuperative... Home....this house on it's rocky, boulder-filled perch is home...warm, welcoming.... our project-filled, dreams-may-become-real castle...not what I thought I wanted, but I am changing my attitude and accepting the here-and-now...

So come along with me my friends!! The adventure continues!! Or Begins Anew!! It should be quite an interesting ride as I learn to accept the here and now, myself as well as my surroundings...you see, when I think of myself, I see myself as a 20-to-30-something person...with the capacity, the skill, the know-how to do so much...but the modifications I must make as I age in "retirement," in dealing with a body that has a mind all it's own...the adventure will continue...as I look forward to new challenges--new adaptations....


Oh! and today is my birthday!! 
and I am going to ride my bicycle with a dear friend of mine!! 
and spend my day being kind to me...
Happy Birthday


...finally!!
                                                                         

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you, my dear friend! I hope your future is filled with laughter and love and wonderful memories! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your post immensely Frankie! I am glad you are feeling good in yourself, despite the Fibromyalgia (?) I would have loved to meet up with you and the Bezel Bootcampers! One day :-)

    ReplyDelete